Sunday, March 6, 2011

Ethiopian Cuisine

We are lucky enough to have two Ethiopian families within our little neighborhood. One of the ladies I am good friends with and is a walking buddy of mine. The other lady I met last year and told her how were would be bringing Jonah home soon. I don't see her often but the other day she caught us as we were taking a walk. She met Jonah and asked me if I make Ethiopian food for him. I didn't want to tell her that I can't stand the food and the smell of the spices makes me nauseous. So, I held back the details and just said, "No, not really." Then she came right out and asked if I liked the food. Well, you know me, I had to come out and just say, "No, I don't really like it." She laughed and said her husband doesn't eat it either but wanted to know if she could make some food for Jonah to eat.
Obviously Jonah ate Ethiopian food for at least the last 4 months he was in Ethiopia and he loved it. She said she would come by and drop off some food for him. She went on to say that she would love to make him food and that her mother, who lives with them, would be in heaven if she could make food for Jonah. I told her to come by whenever she wanted.
The next day, right at lunch time, she appeared at the house with containers full of food. She also had injera (Ethiopian bread, sort of....) She asked if she could stay and feed Jonah. JT and I enjoyed a nice grilled cheese sandwich while Jonah enjoyed his Ethiopian cuisine. JT was offered it by the way. Jonah loved the food, as did the dogs. They waited patiently to get anything that would fall on the floor.
She has now come by again and dropped off another batch of food. The good thing is that it's free food and who doesn't love that! The bad thing is that my child spells of Ethiopian spices and garlic. I am trying to embrace the culture and ignore my sensitive nose.





No comments: